The Barrel Inn
Bretton Near Eyam Hope Valley, S32 5QD, United Kingdom, 01433 630856, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Barrel Inn History
The Barrel Inn, built in 1597, is situated at the head of Bretton Clough on the table of land, some 1300 feet above sea level. It lies between the villages of Eyam, Hathersage and Great Hucklow in North Derbyshire and within the Manor of Abney which is detailed in the Domesday Book of 1085.
The lands belonging to the Inn are part of the old Bretton Moor. This was crossed by a bridle path from Hathersage to Eyam, which met the main Sheffield, Dronfield and Chesterfield bridleways at this point.
The present old turnpike road the goes past the Inn from Sheffield, Ringinglow, Houndkirk Road across Longshaw Park, went to Great Hucklow, Tideswell, Wormhill and Buxton and was authorised by the 1757 Road Act.
The bridge at Grindleford is the first recorded as having been built and repaired by the county in 1577.
In medieval times the route passed the Inn was used for securing supplies of salt from Cheshire for the medieval township of Sheffield and its castle.
The Barrel Inn still retains its old features – the stone flag floor, the oak beams and nail studded doors, the thick traditional Derbyshire limestone walls and low doorways., although the original heather thatched roof has long been replaced by stone slate. We look to retain the feeling of an ancient country inn with the welcoming atmosphere of the open fire and a glowing fire on colder days.
Our location, atop the hill at Bretton still offers panoramic views of surrounding farmlands and provides our visitors with an unsurpassed view across the valleys to the hill lined horizons – The Barrel Inn at Bretton is always worth a visit, whatever our Peak District weather has to offer!